Yale vs. Cambridge.

The greatest interest is being taken in the coming Yale-Cambridge games, which are to take place on Manhattan field on Oct. 5, not only by the Yale undergraduates, but by all the athleticpublic, believing that College games of this nature present the best and purest form of amateur sport. Yale is doing everything to make the meeting worthy of an international name; one to which the Englishmen will look back with pleasure. In this the college has had the firm support of the alumni, and there is no doubt that the event will be as brilliant from a social, as from an athletic point of view.

The Cambridge men are bigger, older and better developed physically than the members of the Yale team. Captain Shaw of the L. A. C. team, expressed surprise that the American sprinters were for the most part of light build, and said that in his opinlon strength was essential to fast sprinting.

G. Gormer-Williams, who will represent the light-blue, in the Yale-Cambridge games, stands 5 ft. 11 in and weighs 175 pounds in running costume. He is one of the largest of the visiting team, but gets into his running slowly and although he has power, his style is heavy and clumsy.

His companion in the 100 yards, E. H. Wilding, is tall but slight in build. His style is more graceful than Gormer Williams's, but he has not much power, and does not develop any more speed. It is probable that the Yale pair opposed to these two will be Byers and Burnett. In condition, both are good for 10 1-5 seconds, while neither of the Cambridge representatives at their best are better than 10 2-5 seconds. Byers last spring in the Intercollegiates was good enough to lead Crum at eighty yards, and he is now running stronger and faster than ever. The 300 and 440 yards are really Richards's best distances, and in Murphy's opinion, he can, when right, give the best now running a very hard race. Murphy thinks that he can be depended upon to do the 300 in 31 2-5 seconds while the Cambridge men can hardly be expected to get under 32 seconds. it seems probable now that Sanford will accompany Richards in the longer event, and if he does, there will be some great running, as "Sandy" is in condition to run the race of his life. On the part of the Cambridge men, the 300 and 440 yard races will bring out Fitz Herbert, one of the bright particular stars of the visiting team. It is hardly within the range of probabilities that Yale can count upon both the events in which this wonderful performer will show his prowess. T. M. Lewin, who will support Fitz Herbert, has not the grace, power, stride, or speed of Fitz Herbert, and is not looked upon as dangerous.

Captain Horan, athletic leader of the Collegians who will compete in the halfmile run for Cambridge, is another sterling performer.

This event seems to be a certainty for Cambridge, as the Yale men, Woodhull and Crane, will have difficulty in getting below two minutes for the distance, while Horan has done the half in 1.56. He is bothered at present, however, with a lame ankle, which he is compelled to keep bandaged, and which may make the contest a more even one than now seems possible.

The mile furnishes as a contestant the greatest miler who has ever run in varsity colors, Luytens of Cambridge. His record is seconds better than that of Morgan of Yale, and this event also is, apparently, a sure thing for Cambridge. If Morgan can get down to 4.25 he will be running better than ever before, and Luytens has a record of 4.19.75 for the distance. Lutyens will be accompanied by H. J. Davenport, who is heavier and stronger, but not so speedy or graceful as his college mate.

The 120 yards hurdle race, which will be run both upon the grass and upon the cinder path, will be watched with great interest, as, in a measure, deciding the much mooted question of the relative speed of the American and English styles. The English style is on the turf, over hurdles firmly fixed in the ground, which bring the runner to sudden grief, if he comes in contact with them. This is radically different from the American style of loose hurdles set up on the cinder path. Englishmen claim that it is necessary to jump higher at the English style and that the turf is not so fast as the made path. L. E. Pilkington, the Cambridge representative for the double event, is short and heavy, not unlike Shaw of the London team, in build, and is speedy for the first five hurdles, but does not seem capable of holding the burst to the finish. With him will be W. M. Fletcher, who stands over six feet, and is broad-shouldered rather than heavy. He is slower than Pilkigton and they bear about the same speed relation as do Cady and Hatch, who will be offered as their opponents by Yale. Cady, however, has been doing splendid work over the high sticks in practice, and in a recent trial finished only a yard and a half behind Chase, the American champion, in the record time of 153/5 seconds. Much depends upon the outcome of the two hurdle races as to how the balance of victory will swing. On record form as well as on present performances, the chances are somewhat in favor of Yale.

Mendelson, who will compete for Cambridge in the broad jump, is not a consistent performer, and if Sheldon, the Yale captain, succeeds in getting into anything like condition, the chances are that this event will go to Yale. Sheldon's injured foot, which has been very painful, is almost well. He expects to be in perfect form by the 5th.

The Cambridge high jumpers are T. M. Jennings and A. B. Johnston. Johnston will also attempt to throw the sixteenpound hammer. He approaches his take off at a slant, has no great amount of spring, and clears the bar all doubled up, his body bent, as if he would grasp his feet and lift himself over. He gives the impression of attempting to sit on the bar. Jennings jumps in better form, taking off usually straight ahead, although he sometimes affects the slanting run. It is probable that the high jump will go to Cambridge, as neither Thompson nor Sheldon, who will represent Yale, can be depended upon to do more than five feet ten inches.

E. J. Watson of Cambridge is entered for the weights. From the look of these athletes one would be prone to suggest that from point of size the Englishmen would be wise if they were to make sprinters of their weight-men and weight-men of their sprinters. Murphy at present figures on winning seven out of the eleven events, namely, the one hundred yards run and three hundred yards run, broad jump, the hammer and shot and the two hurdle races. Of these, the most in doubt are the three hundred yards run and the two hurdles, while the other four which Murphy omits are by no means conceded to the Englishmen.