Football at Yale.

NEW HAVEN, Sept. 21, 1895. The Yale squad has had four days of preliminary training. Captain Thorne appeared here last Tuesday, and within the next two days 10 candidates for places behind the line had reported for work. On Thursday the linemen began to come and now there are 20 here. The candidates include the few men left from last year's team, most of the members of last year's freshman eleven, but no new men. They will not be given a chance till after college opens next week Thursday.

It is an interesting fact that nine of the members of last year's eleven graduated from Yale last June, and the task of putting a champion team in the field this fall is the hardest that any captain has experienced in years.

Captain Thorne himself, and Fred Murphy, both veterans of two years' experience, are the old men who return, one of them a lineman, the other a back. Murphy, as tackle, will be relied upon by Captain Thorne to keep the line steady this year, while as fullback Captain Thorne himself will do his best to steady the men behind the line.

The task of developing an entirely new team does not rest upon Captain Thorne quite so completely as might be supposed. Last year was characterized by so many accidents, that much of the time seven substitutes were obliged to be played on the eleven. For instance, in the Harvard game at Springfield last fall, Yale played 13 men, and in the Princeton game the following week 12 men. The substitutes of last fall are, for the most part, in college and will be Yale's mainstay this season.

The most prominent candidates are for quarterback, Morris and Fincke; for halfback, De Witt, Jerrems and Mills; for the line, Fred Murphy, Louis Hinkey, Murray, Bennett, Chadwick and Rodgers.