The Advocate.

Number seven of Volume XLVI of the Advocate which will appear today is of more interest to seniors as a memento of their class dinner than to the college at large. The editorials occupy less space than usual, and are not quite up to the high standard of the past issues under the present board. This is explainable by the dearth of topics which necessitates the selection of the "would-be bloods" as an editorial subject.

The bulk of the number is taken up by the '89 class oration and poem written for the annual senior class dinner. The oration, by Mr. Darling, glorifies the class of '89 for its share in the change of spirit and methods now taking place at Harvard. It also traces the work of the class in building up the various societies, closing with an earnest appeal for better work in athletics and predictions of a victorious season.

The poem, by Mr. Hunneman, like all class poems, is a succession of hits and grinds upon members of the class. The prologue and introduction are better than is usual in after dinner poems. and many of the hits are very witty. Of course the interest in such a piece depends upon the aptness of the allusions, and in this respect the poem is excellent.

The only story in the issue is "The 'Ace's' Love Affairs." Its greatest merit lies in its length, the article showing great ability in spinning out unimportant details. The plot is original and is well wrought out. The style has a tendency to incoherency, but is picturesque and vigorous. The story contains several good passages, and in spite of its fanlts is very readable and interesting.

Under the head of "Correspondence" is given an extract from a letter from a graduate residing at Strasburg University, describing the process of "swearing in" and the management of his work. Two book reviews and the "Advocate Brief" complete the number.