Professor Morgan's Lecture.

Professor C. Lloyd Morgan of University College, Bristol, England, gave an interesting lecture in Harvard 1 last evening on "The Flight of Birds." The lecture, which was well attended, was illustrated with stereopticon views.

After first comparing the skeletons and wings of birds with those of insects and bats, and tracing the different stages of development from the simplest species of insects, Professor Morgan gave a detailed explanation of a bird's wing. He showed that the wing muscles and the heavy bones are at the bottom of the body and the lungs and air-cells at the top, so that the bird, ballasted as it is, naturally rights itself when in air. The feathers of the wing are divided into primary and secondary feathers. In all swift flying birds the primary or outer feathers of the wing are "feathered" or turned edgewise on the recover so as to offer less resistance.

Experiments with young birds which have never flown show that flight is instinctive. Professor Morgan described a series of experiments which he made, proving this. With the aid of his lantern slides he also illustrated the developement of flight in all orders of birds, beginning with the highest development as shown in the swallow and ending with the penquin and the auk.