Examination Proctors.

The question as to whether it is advisable to have proctors in the examination room was taken up by the Faculty about two months ago and a committee of which Professor Shaler was the chairman, was formed to find out the general feeling of the students on that subject. Since then several steps have been taken. Professor Wendell gave it out as a subject for themes and over three hundred were read, of which only two per cent opposed the present system. Several suggestions were made, such as the proctors should not wear squeaking boots, talk together in corners, or walk about any more than necessary, but they almost all believed in having them present in the room.

The Princeton system, by which men are put on their honor and sign a pledge was spoken of, but the serious objection is that men are apt to be noisy after they have finished and so disturb the others.

At present there seems no basis for a belief that it would be advisable to change the present methods. Professor Shaler, however, will be glad to hear, either personally or by letter, any opinons or suggestions which men may have to offer.