Dr. Dorpfeld's Lectures.

Next Monday evening will come the first of a series of lectures by the greatest Greek archaeologist, Dr. Dorpfeld. The subjects that he has chosen are quite as attractive to the general student as to the specialist in the classics. To the latter, however, his visit is peculiarly welcome, since it enables him to see and hear the man whose views, particularly in connection with the Greek theatre, he has heard so many times quoted.

Nearly all are acquainted with the career of Dr. Dorpfeld. From Greece itself through the islands of the Aegean Sea to the coast of Asia Minor there is scarcely a place of interest with which he has not made himself familiar. He was trained as an engineer and architect. From 1877-1881, under appointment from the German government, he assisted in the excavations at Olympia. Since then he has devoted all his energies to original investigations which have brought before the public with a vividness never before possible the glories of ancient Greece. After his work at Olympia he carried on the excavations at Troy with Dr. Schliemann, and although Dr. Schliemann's name is more familiar in connection with Troy, it was really Dr. Dorpfeld's technical skill and wide experience that made the former's works possible. He next undertook with Schliemann excavations at Tiryns, Orchomenos, and in Crete; and, after Schliemann's death, returned to complete the work at Troy. His most important work after this has been in Greece, especially in and around Athens. As a result of his researches the buildings of the Acropolis appear to the minds's eye almost in their original splendor.

Lest some may be deterred from attending these lectures of Dr. Dorpfeld on account of slight knowledge of German, it may be well to repeat the common remark of those who have heard him, that "his German is easier to understand than many Englishmen's English."