THE WEEK AT YALE.

NEW HAVEN, NOV. 9, 1896.

Now that the excitement over the election has subsided, attention is turned mainly towards the work of the eleven and the prospect of the game on the 21st. During the practice of the past week the university team lined up against the college side for only one half each day. The rest of the time was occupied with signal practice and the trial of formation and trick plays. The eleven defeated Boston A. A. in an exciting and hard-fought game at the Field on election day, before a large crowd. The News has invited all members of the university to contribute songs for use at the Yale-Princeton game in New York. A committee will pass judgment on these songs and the best contributions will be published.

Interest in golf is increasing rapidly throughout the university and a large number of men play every day on the grounds of the New Haven Golf Club. The Yale Golf Team for the year consists of the following men: R. Terry, Jr., '98, captain; W. R. Betts '98, C. Colgate '97 S., J. Reid, Jr., '99, W. B. Smith '99, and F. C. Havemeyer '00. Although it had been expected that Harvard, Princeton, and the University of Pennsylvania would also send teams to compete for the Ardsley Casino Cup, at Tarrytown, N. Y., on Saturday, Yale and Columbia were the only universities represented. The Yale Golf Team won the match, thirty-five holes to their opponents' none. A handsome silver loving cup was presented to the team, and, in addition, a silver medal to each of the men.

A a meeting held in the university on Wednesday evening, a Biblical Club was organized, with the special object of discussing, at monthly meetings, the Apochryphal Literature of the Old Testament. The following officers were elected: President, W. H. Sallmon '94; secretary, J. S. Rogers '98; executive committee, H. F. Rall T. S., Rev. F. G. Marbles P. G., W. P. Keeler '97, and the president and secretary ex-offico. Sixty men joined the club at the first meeting.

A meeting was held on Friday evening, at the request of the Phi Betta Kappa Society, of the men who had received the appointment of Philosophical Oration, from the class of ninety-eight. As it had been proposed to raise the standard of admission to the society from 3.15 to 3.30, on a scale of 4.00, the meeting was held for the purpose of giving these men an opportunity to express their views on the question. It was unanimously voted that this action should not be carried into effect with the present junior appointments. It was suggested that the plan should be carried for the first time with the class of '00.

The Christian Association of the university will observe the present week of prayer for young men throughout the world by holding prayer meetings in Dwight Hall every morning from 7.20 to 7.40. The general subject for the week will be "Conditions of Prevailing Prayer."

THE YALE NEWS.