BACON'S REBELLION.

Seventh Lecture by Dr. Fiske on Southern Colonial History.

Professor John Fiske lectured last evening in Sanders Theatre on "Bacon's Rebellion." In beginning he showed how the growth of the Cromwell party in England drove the Cavaliers to Virginia. In 1649 a party of more than 300 of these fugitive royalists, belonging to the very best class of people, came to Virginia. These Cavaliers made the reputation of Virginia, and from them many of our most distinguished families have traced their descent. Sir William Berkeley, a Royalist of the Royalists, was elected governor. After the Restoration his government became tyrannical in the extreme. An aristocrat himself, he had no sympathy with the common people. With the assistance of a group of wealthy planters he attempted to get rid of popular elections. Having in 1660 got an assembly to his liking, he did not dissolve it for sixteen years. The effect of this abuse was to drive many Cavaliers to oppose Berkeley, who in turn became more arrogant than ever.

Troubles with the Indians finally brought matters to a head. In May, 1676, they attacked the estate of Nathaniel Bacon. Being refused a royal permit the latter set out of his own accord and chastised the plunderers. When Berkeley took the field, he saw that the entire populace was aroused, and the only means of pacifying them was to call another assembly. The result was a crushing defeat of the Berkeley party and the election of Bacon to the assembly. He was arrested on his way to Jamestown, but was released on parole. Before the Assembly Bacon publicly acknowledged his mistake in setting out on the Indian campaign without the governor's sanction.

While the assembly was busy with reform measures, Bacon was warned that his life was in danger, and fied from the town. In six days he returned with an army of 600 men, demanding that the governor grant him his commission to go against the Indians. This the governor was brow-beaten into signing. Within four weeks Bacon had subdued the Indians, and was suddenly surprised by a proclamation declaring him a rebel. Berkeley himself, however, was forced to flee, and was himself declared a rebel against Virginia. Again he returned with 1000 men and took possession of Jamestown. Bacon, advancing upon the town, completely routed Berkeley and burned the town. Shortly after this Bacon himself died. On the news of his death the rebellion collapsed with astonishing suddenness, and the ringleaders were put to death. Berkeley himself died in 1677 in England, whither he had gone to answer for his abuses.