FOOTBALL SMOKE TALK.

Interesting talks by Waters '94, and by Trafford '93.

The fourth in the series of six football smoke talks was held last night at the Colonial Club. Ex-Captains Waters '94 and Trafford '93 spoke on "Team Play," and "Kicking," respectively.

Waters first spoke of the extreme difficulty of defining such a thing as team play and said that the best definition he could make was "that team play was the additional something which, entering into the thought and action of the whole team, renders it a unit." After speaking of the great difficulty a man has in keeping his thoughts with the team, he gave ex-Captain Cumnock's definition of team play, as consisting in every man's knowing how to play his position so well that he can spare some of his surplus strength to aid the man next him. The more each player can help the man next him, the stronger the team play.

Waters then spoke of the difference between the inexperienced and the experienced player, on both the offence and defence. An inexperienced player does not feel in touch with the other players. In closing he said that the idea of sacrifice is what keeps football alive. But a man must not only sacrifice himself for the sake of his team, but must forget himself in his sacrifice.

Trafford, in speaking of kicking, said that kicking had been neglected in past years. Cumnock was the first to recognize the importance of kicking and the victory in '91 was largely due to this. He then gave his idea of the errors which kickers are liable to, in place and drop kicking, and in punting, and in closing said that men must teach themselves, for they are so differently built that it is hard for one man to coach another in kicking.