News from Poughkeepsie.

[Associated Press.]

POUGHKEEPSIE, N. Y., June 14.- Sunday is always a quiet day with oarsmen in training for a race, but this has been not only an unusually quiet day but one of very depressing influences upon the crews of Harvard. Columbia and the University of Pennsylvania. It rained hard from daybreak to dusk. All of the oarsmen kept close to quarters all day, reading and sleeping. The Pennsylvanians had planned a trip up the river on their launch to make friendly calls on their neighbors of Harvard and Columbia, but the water was so rough that the proposed visitations were abandoned.

During the afternoon the steam yacht "Queen City" arrived from Troy with a new paper shell for the Columbia 'varsity crew, which was taken off at the college boathouse. The oarsmen were glad to get the new boat, as the one they have been using is in a very bad condition. They will give the new shell a trial tomorrow morning, and may then take their first row over the course against time.

Coach Mumford is expected back from Boston tomorrow morning, when he will coach the Harvard 'Varsity Crew in their new cedar shell. George Hartwell, of Worcester, who built the boat, came to town after rigging the sheel and spoke very enthusiastically about both of the Harvard crews. He picks Harvard for a sure winner in the freshman race, and offered to back his opinion with a wager of $100 against the field, but could find no one who would take the bet.

Since the faculty of the University of Pennsylvania rescinded its action in debarring Megarge, Stevenson and Kier from the 'varsity boat, the outlook for the Quaker oarsmen is brighter than ever. The men feel that the concession made by the faculty places a personal responsibility upon each of them, and they promise to do even harder work during the coming week than before.