OBITUARY.

Daniel Denny '54.

Charles Theodore Russell Bates, who died from the accidental discharge of a gun in his home at Wilmington, Delaware, on September 14, 1895 was born in Wilmington on May 1st, 1871, and was the son of George H. Bates and Elizabeth B. Russell, a sister of ex-Governor William E. Russell. Bates was graduated in June, 1886, at the Rugby Academy in Wilmington where he took first honors. He entered the Phillips Exeter Academy the next fall, being graduated there in 1888. At Exeter he was in his senior year vice-president of his class, and took an active and zealous interest in the athletic and social life of the academy. He entered Harvard the next fall with high entrance honors, and maintained an excellent standard throughout his course, receiving a dissertation upon graduation. While at Cambridge, Bates identified himself with many undergraduates, social and working organizations, and took a prominent part also in athletics. He was a member of the Institute of 1770, of the Exeter Club, the Southern Club, of the Chess and Whist Club, of the Electrical Club, St. Paul's Society, the Fencing Club, Shooting Club, the Harvard Union, was vice-president of the Reform Club, a director of the Memorial Hall Dining Association, and played on the University Cricket team. He was '92's representative in the mile walk in the annual class athletic games, and took several prizes in this event.

After graduation Bates began the study of law, and entered into it with all the energy, earnestness and zest which always characterized him. In the political campaign of '92 he organized and was the president of the First Voter's Club of Wilmington, and he worked actively throughout the campaign. At the opening of the World's Fair in Chicago in 1893 he was put in charge of the Harvard exhibit, and many strangers to him personally will recall the cordiality and ability which he displayed in his duties there. AT the time of his death he was studying hard in the law office of Mr. Francis Rawle, Philadelphia, and would have soon been admitted to the Wilmington and Philadelphia bars.

In the death of Bates the class has lost one of its best known members, and the sense of keen personal loss which its members feel is increased by the knowledge that the class has been deprived of one whose energy, ability and courage seemed certain to bring honors to both himself and his class. His career at Harvard was marked throughout by a lively interest in the things which would tend to advance the welfare of his class and the College.

In behalf of the class we beg to offer his parents and family our hearty assurances that we sympathize most profoundly with them and feel that their loss is our own.

(Signed)

THOMAS W. LAMONT, Chairman, JOHN S. COOK, FRANKLIN S. NEWELL, Class Committee. ALLEN R. BENNER, Secretary.