U. OF P.'S UNIVERSITY CLUB.

Howard Houston Hall and How it was Obtained.

Howard Houston Hall is undoubtedly the most popular building of the whole University of Pennsylvania in the eyes of the student body. It is the pivotal point around which the interesting features of the social life of the University are grouped, has brought the students more in contact with each other, and offers every attraction which can be properly recognized as legitimate and desirable for the University student.

It is interesting to note that the students themselves were the first to recognize this need and that they actually secured about $6000 towards the present building before the Houston family came so generously to their aid.

A movement for a building to meet the religious and social needs of the students was inaugurated by the Y. M. C. A. of the university on December 18, 1892, at a mass meeting of the students. After subscription pledges to the amount of $6000 had been made by the students and some friends of the association, the Provost took the matter up and secured the munificent gift which made possible the immediate erection of the hall.

The hall was opened on the 2d of January, 1896, and the club formed, all students and alumni being eligible for membership. The annual dues are but two dollars, and these fees together with the income from the games and baths are credited to the maintenance account.

On entering the club house the visitor is at once ushered into a spacious reception room with couches, lounges and easy chairs. To the right is a large billiard room, and to the left a well equipped reading room. Two handsome stairways furnished with cosy window seats lead to the second story. Here the public services of the Y. M. C. A. are held, and general entertainments. The rooms of the athletic association and also those of the Y. M. C. A. are on this floor. The third floor contains the offices of the college papers, the headquarters of the musical clubs, meeting rooms of the medical and other societies; also a kitchen. The basement contains the bowling alleys, a small gymnasium and the swimming pool. Dressing rooms, baths, etc., are amply provided.

This short sketch gives but a poor idea of the broad general usefulness of Houston Hall to the University. It has already a membership of 1410, hardly one year from the time of its opening.