THE GAME.

Harvard and Yale Play to a Tie for the First Time Since '79.

This afternoon at 2 o'clock, Harvard and Yale will meet on Soldiers' Field in football for their first game since 1894.

Probably for the first time in the history of Harvard-Yale football, both teams are apparently so evenly matched that it is almost impossible from an impartial standpoint to pick with any exactness the winning eleven. The Yale and Harvrd coaching staffs have pursued methods radically opposite in the development of their teams this year. Harvard departed from the precedent established by past coachers, in that the general lines upon which the team was built up were so changed as to leave little semblance of past methods. Almost from the frist day of practice, Harvard has had a regular first eleven, and, with one or two exceptions, that first choice of men has been maintained throughout the season. There was plenty of experienced material to start on, and by playing practically the same eleven men together the whole season, it is reasonable to suppose that the new system has eradicated individual play and taught the team to get together. The consistency of the policy seems to be well founded, especially in its developmental process, and, as far as the men are concerned, Harvard never had a lot of men who were physically in better condition than the present squad. During the past week the improvement the team has shown is conducive to a general feeling that they have been taught a fast game and will play their best against Yale today.

Yale's policy has been to change the make-up of their eleven constantly, with the ultimate aim of weeding out the best men and settling on the positions which they are best qualified for. Out of plenty of new material, in which green men however predominated, Yale has built up a strong, fast team, capable of showing fine offensive play. Individually they have a few "stars" of the present season, and as a whole exhibit exceptional team play. Their defensive is generally conceded to be their weakest point.

Although it was though that ample accommodations had been made by the management, in the seating capacity of the stands, the 24,000 seats have been disposed of in a manner unprecedented for a game played on home grounds, and today there is hardly a seat on sale.

The teams will probably line up as follows:

HARVARD. YALE.

Cabot, l. e. r. e., Hall.

Swain, l. t. r. t., Chamberlain.

Bouve, l. g. r. g., Brown.

Doucette, c. c., Cadwalader.

Haskell or Shaw, r. g. l. g., Marshall.

Donald, r. t. l. t., Rodgers.

Moulton, r. e. l. e., Hazen.

Garrison, q. b. q. b., DeSaulles.

Dibblee, l. h. b. r. h. b., Benjamin.

Warren or Sawin, r. h. b. l. h. b., Corwin.

Haughton, f. b. f. b., McBride.

The following officials have been chosen: Referee-McClung, Lehigh. Umpire-Paul Dashiel, Lehigh. Timekeeper-F. Wood, B. A. A. Time-35 minute halves.