ATHALIE.

The First Musical Rehearsal Held Yesterday Afternoon.

Yesterday afternoon the first rehearsal of Athalie with the musical accompaniment of the chorus was given in Sanders Theatre. Thirty members of the Boston Symphony Orchestra furnished the instrumental music and the Cecilia sang in French Racine's chorals. This musical chorus supplements and tones the strong moments of the play and is usually accompanied by the rythmic motions of the Radcliffe chorus which does not sing. Enriched by the setting of Eastern costumes against the temple scenery, these periods of the tragedy should prove very beautiful. The music of Mendelssohn is perfectly adapted to the sentiment and secret fervor of the acting which it helps to express. Both the orchestra and the singers of the Cecilia were led by Mr. B. J. Lang, a prominent Boston musician, teacher and conductor. Rehearsals of the whole company are held daily throughout this week.

The dress rehearsal of Friday is to be especially for schools. Professor de Sumichrast has issued invitations to over 80 schools and academies in Boston and New England and a majority of these institutions will be represented by instructors and students prominent in French.

Invitations have been issued by the Department to college presidents, professors and instructors, and to several other notable men for the first public performance of Athalie Monday evening. The following have accepted: President and Mrs. Eliot, President Crofts, M. I. T.; President Capen, of Tufts; President Warren of Boston University; President Butler, of Colby; President Irvine, of Wellesley; President Agassiz, of Radcliffe; President Lee, of the French-American College at Springfield; President Brosnahan, of Boston College; President Chase, of Bates; President Seely of Smith; Dean Briggs; Dean Hodges, of the Episcopal Theological School; and Miss Irwin, Dean of Radcliffe. Also: Governor Wolcott, Mr. F. L. Higginson, Mr. T. J. Coolidge, Mr. T. J. Coolidge, Jr., Hon. S. Lincoln, Dr. H. P. Walcott, Hon. Sherman Hoar, Professors Fay of Tufts, Van Dael of M. I. T., Gettis of Boston University, Dow of Dartmouth, Vismaut of Wellesley, Eckstadt of Mt. Holyoke, Angel of Bates, Duval of Smith, Barrett Wendell, M. H. Morgan, and J. W. White of Harvard; Mr. H. C. Smith of New York, Mr. R. Upton, Mr. J. H. Hyde, Mr. R. C. Leh mann, and Canon and Mrs. Cheyne of Oxford, England.

President Low of Columbia, Pres. Dwight of Yale, Pres. Gates of Amherst, Pres. Gilman of Johns Hopkins, Pres. Taylor of Vassar, Archbishop Williams and Bishop Lawrence were unable on account of previous engagements to accept the Department's invitation.

The advance sale of seats has now closed and the assignment of seats is being made according to the academic seniority of instructors and students. Tickets will be sent out on Friday. There are very few seats remaining unsold.

Professor de Sumichrast will lecture in Sanders Theatre, on Thursday, December 2nd at 4.30 p. m., on Racine's Athalie with particular reference to the French classical tragedy. The lecture will be open to the public and will be in English.