Basket Ball.

Dr. Sargent is at present trying to arrange to have two basket ball teams from outside the college, composed of men who thoroughly understand the game, play an exhibition match in the Gymnasium, in order that the men here may understand the game better. Two games can be played at the same time in the Gymnasium, one on the floor and one in the cage, while in good weather a third field can be laid out on the asphalt court back of the Gymnasium. Though no regular teams have as yet been organized, scrub teams play every afternoon. Dr. Sargent does not wish to have any games arranged with outside teams until the men understand better how to play.

The game of basket ball requires greater quickness and agility than any other indoor game in which a number of men play together, and is therefore especially valuable as preliminary training for all out-door sports. The game as played a few years ago by the Y. M. C. A. teams was extremely dangerous, and serious accidents occurred frequently.

The objectionable features of the game have been done away with, however, for the present rules, as amended by Dr. Sargent, do not allow the ball to be wrenched away from a player. At the same time the demand for skill in the game has been increased.