Communication.

The Plans for the Class Day Exercises to be Brought Up Tonight.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

Is it not mismanagement or bad generalship that each year when the time arrives for the most important University games to be played, when reputation for the College is to be made, the Harvard players are crippled and of little or no avail? Why is it necessary to use up the team in practice and by contests with unimportant teams just before the great games of the year? Of course I realize that thorough and systematic hard practice is necessary, but there is a limit to human endurance, and some discretion should be used, that the men shall be serviceable when the most important games occur. To win over Princeton, Pennsylvania or Yale is the great aim of the year and of more importance than to win over the many teams brought against Harvard week after week. I do not mean to say we should have none of such, but is there not too much hammering and especially just before the great game. Only one week ago Harvard had a severe contest with a strong team and only one week later the most important game of the year was to come off! Saturday last came and while the Princeton men were supple and agile, the Harvard players came on the field limping and lame, while outside the lines stood on crutches some of the best players!

Now again Harvard is to go to Philadelphia to play Pennsylvania and with the college reputation at stake in two weeks time, but next Saturday only one week before this important game, the Boston Athletic Association is to be played, and it is well known what sort of a game they usually give. Probably more men will be disabled and then not time enough is left to recuperate. I am not supposing that perfection can be attained without practice and practice games, nor asking that Harvard be spared, but I believe the team gets too much hammering just before the important matches. I have seen day after day the past two weeks, Harvard players coming from Soldiers Field from their practice, lame and limping through Harvard square, and yet they are expected to win games! The contrast between Princeton and Harvard men on Saturday was most striking, one team was fresh and ready, the other stiff and slow and apparently used up. Why does Harvard have so many cripples every year before the great college contests begin? Why cripple the men ourselves? Is the management right? It is most important to win over Pennsylvania as it is a great college contest-it is not material about the Boston Athletic Association. Yet I believe the Boston Athletic Association will, by the hard game they will give, very materially help Pennsylvania to win, if she does win. Neither Harvard nor any other college can play first-class teams every seven days and be fresh and fit. Call off the Athletic Association game and give the team a rest that a good showing may be made with Pennsylvania.

GRADUATE.