The Fencing Class.

The class in fencing at the Gymnasium now numbers about 40 members. The men practice five days each week under the direction of Mr. Dohs, the instructor. On Tuesday and Thursday afternoons there is single stick practice and on the other afternoons calisthenics exercise. The single stick drill is intended to teach the men the motions and positions of fencing as far as possible. It gives light but thorough exercise and develops suppleness and agility.

The sticks which the class is using at present are too heavy for the purpose. Dr. Sargent has ordered lighter sticks and with them the drill will be much more beneficial.

The class is developing some excellent material which may be useful for future fencing teams. It is doubtful whether any of the members of the class will represent Harvard in the intercollegiate tournament at New York in March; two or three of the men, however, have already had some experience in fencing and may be chosen.

Later in the year Mr. Dohs hopes to have the class provided with foils. It is possible that the college will furnish them, but it seems probable that each man will have to provide his own. With the foils the practice will be more interesting, although the single stick drill is a useful preliminary.