The American School at Athens.

The regular fall meeting of the managing committee of the American School of Classical Study at Athens, was held at Columbia College recently. All the colleges which are interested in the school sent representatives, and Professor Seymour, of Yale, presided. The meeting was of great interest, as important changes were made in the administration of the School. Dr. F. B. Tarbell was elected chief executive officer of the school for a term of five years, with the title of Secretary. Professor J. T. Beckwith, Yale '68, of Trinity College, was elected Professor of the Greek language and literature for the year 1892-93.

Professor Beckwith has since announced his inability to accept the position in Athens, and as yet the managing committee has chosen no successor.

Dr. Tarbell made some interesting statements relative to the origin and growth of the school, which in purport were as follows:

The idea of founding such an institution as the present school has become was first proposed by Professor Norton. The Archacological Institute of America took up the idea with energy and in co-operation with the leading colleges of the country opened the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, October 2, 1882.

Lack of funds was, as might be expected, the great difficulty which the prosecutors of the plan had to encounter. However, about four years ago a school building was erected upon the south-eastern slope of Mount Lycabettus, at a cost of $25,000, upon ground which was given by the Greek government.

The financial condition has continued to improve until at present their is an endowment fund of about $50,000.

At first the school was superintended by annual directors who were able only to spend a single winter in Athens. Then Dr. Waldstein who was connected with Cambridge University was elected permanent director, but he was able only to give a portion of the winter to the work, requiring a residence in Athens.

Dr. Tarbell is the first permanent resident head which the finances of the school have been able to afford.

The afivantages of the school are open to the graduates of the colleges which support the institution, free of tuition fees. They are enjoyed also by a number of other American students who are considered by the committee to deserve the privileges of membership.

The term opens October first and until the winter comes on it is possible that a little excavating may be done. During the months of cold weather the curriculum is one of great latitude. The resident director lectures three or four times a week in the library of the school and in the various museums of the city. The students attend these lectures and as a general thing pursue under supervision some course of Greek reading. Toward the end of March excavating is begun and continued until the weather becomes too hot.

The cost of living in Athens if one have a room in the school is extremely reasonable, the principal expense in the way of pursuing studies in Athens being the cost of getting there. This averages about $150.