THE PETITION GRANTED.

The Administrative Board Accepts the Co-operation of the Students.

At a meeting of the Administrative Board of the College held last evening to consider the petition of the undergraduates to deal leniently with the students who were detected in the use of firearms on the night of January 26, the following vote was passed:

"The Administrative Board of Harvard College, after a careful consideration of the petition and pledge of the undergraduates regarding the recent disturbance in and about Harvard Square, is glad to accept the co-operation of the students in the effort to preserve order and the good repute of the University.

"The Board therefore votes to lay on the table the cases of those students against whom complaint has been made."

The text of the petition as submitted to the Board with the signatures of about eight hundred undergraduates is as follows:

"We the undersigned, members of the classes of 1897, '98, '99, and 1900, while recognizing fully the wantonness of the disturbance on Tuesday night, January 26, believe it to have been due rather to the thoughtlessness of the men engaged in it than to any vicious purpose and we beg the Administrative Board to treat with leniency the students detected in the use of explosives on that night.

"We think that the time has come when the whole college should unite in an endeavor to put a stop to such disturbances and to relieve the college of the scandal which they cause. We therefore promise to refrain from the use of explosives and firearms either in celebration of athletic victories or at any other time, and to do our utmost to discourage and prevent the use of such explosives during the remainder of our college course."

By this action the students against whom complaint was made on account of the disturbance of January 26 are practically exempted from punishment.