The Monthly.

The forthcoming number of the Monthly contains three scrupulously written criticisms: "Harrison G. O. Blake '35, and Thoreau," by D. G. Mason 1 G.; "Macaulay as a Literary Critic," by E. W. S. Pickhardt '98, and "Coventry Patmore's Conception of Genius" by J. La Farge, Jr., 1901, These criticisms are all interesting and full of care and precision in composition and in style. But in this respect they suffer from a fault which mars many a Monthly contribution. They are more careful than anything else. They are not surprising, original or absorbing in subject matter, nor yet interesting for any novelty of treatment. They read as if they had been turned out for the English department to begin with, and afterwards much revised with a view to publication. One is inclined to wonder why they were published, unless as models of painstaking composition. If this is the case three are rather many for one number.

Of the stories "Question D'Argent," by J. G. Forbes 1901 is original but somewhat unnatural in plot. It might have been a true story.

"Coventry Patmore," by H. M. Rideout '99 is the best sonnet that has appeared in the Monthly for some time.

"In the Harbor of Hong Kong," by R. C. Bolling '900; "A Stern Chase," by H. Riddell, sC., and two book notices complete the number.