NEGLECT OF TROPHY ROOM.

Glass Cases Needed.- Several Collections Incomplete.

From general neglect and lack of funds the Trophy Room at the Gymnasium has been allowed to fall into a condition which reflects little credit upon the athletic management of the University.

In 1880 a fund was raised by a gymnastic exhibition given by the different athletic organizations in College, in order to fit up the room properly. $500 was then spent to procure framed pictures of old teams and to furnish the room with stained glass windows, a few glass cases, curtains, etc. E. J. Wendell of the class of '80 was instrumental in collecting flags and banners won by Harvard crews. These trophies, however, were left hanging exposed and have many of them partly rotted away.

Since '80 the collection of team pictures has been kept fairly complete. In '94 Dr. Sargent made an effort to restore the missing ones.

The room is at present divided into four sections for the departments of rowing, football, baseball and track athletics. Of these, baseball alone is provided with glass cases. Many articles of interest, such as the old Mott Haven Cup, and a number of old baseball score books are kept locked up for fear of being stolen. These things are exhibited only on Class Day.

For a few days past the Trophy Room has been closed, on account of an attempt to steal the shield won last spring at the dual games with Pennsylvania. It has been opened to visitors again, but all portable objects of value have been removed.

The West Point football cup and the tennis cup owned by the University, and the fencing trophy, the chess and the shooting cups, temporarily in our possession, are some of the prizes which at present can not be exhibited in the Trophy Room, but must be stored elsewhere.