Fogg Art Museum.

Active work will soon be begun on the new Fogg Art Museum. The structure is to be built upon the land lying horth of Appleton Chapel and between the Chapel and Broadway. The contract for the building has been awarded to Norcross Brothers, who are also the builders of the new dormitories on Oxford street. Ground will soon be broken and the foundations will probably be put in this winter.

The accepted plans for the museum are by Mr. Richard M. Hunt of New York, who two years ago received an honorary degree from Harvard. The building will be of Indiana limestone and will be as nearly fire proof as possible.

The museum will have a front of about 115 feet, and equal depth, and will be two stories in height. In the general ground plan there will be two main divisions; the front of the building will be divided into exhibition and other rooms, and in the rear will be a large semicircular lecture hall. The entrances to this will be on both sides of the building. These entrances will also be the ones ordinarily used for the whole museum, for from the lobbies in front of them, doors will open into a large room, 64 by 28 feet, in the centre of the other division of the building. This room will be the cast museum.

On either side of it will be smaller rooms, which may be used for collections, offices or lectures. The main entrance to the building will be in front and will lead directly into the cast museum. From the south side of this, the main stairway will lead to the second story. The general division of this floor will be similar to the one below it, a large room in the middle and smaller rooms on the sides.

The purposes for which the different rooms will be used, has not been definitely settled, but there will be in addition to the exhibition rooms and large lecture hall, several small lecture rooms and possibly a library.