Moliere's Influence.

Yesterday afternoon, M. Ferdinand Brunetiere gave the last of his series of lectures on "Moliere."

M. Brunetiere recommended to Harvard students the following subjects for study and research. First, the differences and similarities between Moliere's style and that of his contemporaries. Second, the relations of Moliere to his faithful patron, Louis XIV. Many questions as to Moliere, he said, are still unanswered.

The influence of Moliere has been and still is, tremendous, not only upon the lesser authorities of his time, but upon the greatest. Abroad we see it in the dramatic works of Fielding and Sheridan. In our time the reaction against Dumas fils, Sardon and their school is simply a return to Moliere.

At first sight it would seem that Moliere failed in his attacks upon the "precieuces," upon doctors and upon hypocracy. But as a matter of fact, Moliere succeeded only too well. His influence is the very thing that has retarded the education of women in France.

Moliere has had severe critics. Long after his deat Bossuet found fault with him; later still Rousseau discussed him. But this very discussion of Moliere, does him the highest honor. Moliere can never descend from his high position or lose his deserved reputation.