Second Interclub Debate.

The second of the monthly debates between the Forum and the Union was held last evening in Sever 11, on the question "Resolved, That the action of Greece in regard to Crete is jnstifiable." The Forum supported the affirmative of the question. W. E. Hutton L. S. presided.

W. T. B. Williams '97 and W. B. Truesdell '97 were the principal speakers for the Forum and W. Denman L. S. and H. W. Beal '97 for the Union. The affirmative adopted the main line of argument that the action of Greece is justifiable from the point of view of her own interests, of the interests of Crete and the interests of humanity. The negative claimed that Greece does not represent humanity but is acting for her own aggradizement; and that in doing this she is running the risk of involving all Europe in a war, a far worse evil than the petty troubles of Crete. Both sides handled their cases well; and in the first two speeches especially, some extremely good expository work was done.

After the main speeches the debate was thrown open to the house. In spite of a rather noticeable lack of preparation on the part of some speakers, some very effective rebuttal work was done on both sides. The following men spoke: From the Forum, A. W. Blake-more '97, V. H. Smith '98, G. Gleason '97, P. G. Carleton '99, W. L. Leighton '99, G. L. Paine Gr.; from the Union, L. O. O'Brien '97, C. Crilk '98, F. Hendrick '98, R W. Sprague L. S., G. R. Stobbs '99, G. O. Dexter '98.