THE YALE LETTER.

NEW HAVEN, April 5, 1897.

NEW HAVEN, Sept. 29, 1896.

As college has been open but three or four days few events of importance have taken place, the one exciting the most comment, perhaps, being the occurences at Mr. Bryan's speech here on the 24th. This has been greatly deplored throughout the university, though it was by no means as serious as many newspapers have represented it to be. At no time in his talk was Mr. Bryan interrupted, the cheering and noise occurring before he had commenced to speak, and merely delaying him a few minutes; then too, it was not at all an organized demonstration but rather arose from thoughtlessness, and not entirely from opposition to the cause he represented.

The incoming classes are larger than last year, the Scientific School Freshmen numbering 168 and the Academic 351, a gain in all of about 40 over last year. President Dwight is abroad and is not expected to return till after Christmas.

The football eleven candidates lined up for the first time last Wednesday and have since been playing ten minute halves daily. The material back of the line is not as good as was expected last year, there being some doubt as to Letton and Mills being able to come out at all. The game with Trinity at Hartford, Saturday, though in some respects disappointing, yet served to show up the material well, and is easily accounted for by the earliness in the season.

THE YALE NEWS.