PRINCETON LETTER.

Shooting Accident.- Selection of Commencement Speakers.

PRINCETON, N. J., Dec 8, 1897.

The annual chess tournament, to decide upon the representatives for the intercollegiate match is almost completed. As a result of the games so far played, Dana 1901, Carter 1900, Elmer '99 and Ely '99 have been chosen to compete with Young '99, the present college champion, for the championship of this year.

The track management has decided not to hold a series of indoor handicap games, such as was held last winter in the Casino.

The old custom of holding cross country runs twice a week will be renewed in order to give some sort of light practice for the track men.

The Triangle Club, the college dramatic organization, is arranging to produce a burlesque entitled "Pocahontas." The play is written by Barnes '99 and the music is to be under the direction of Mayhew '92. Several performances will probably be given in the spring. Trials for the club and rehearsals will commence soon after the Christmas vacation.

In addition to the men who played on the '96 football team the athletic management has granted permission to the following men to wear the 'varsity "P" and football monogram: H. Lathrop 1900, Booth 1900, Ayres '99, Dickey '98, and Edwards 1900.

Candidates for the University Gym. Team have begun practice in the gymnasium under the direction of Mr. Goldie. A joint gymnastic exhibition with Yale will be held at Princeton some time during the winter. in addition to the usual exhibition on Washington's Birthday. Preliminary exhibitions will probably be given in Trenton and in towns nearby. Of last year's team there are in college: Beymer '98, Pitkin '98, Bannard '98, Stevenson '99, Langenberg '99, Austin 1900, Evans 1900, Wheeler 1900 and Holt 1900.

DAILY PRINCETONIAN.