The meeting of the council of the Archaeological Institute of America, recently held in New York, was an occasion of especial interest for Harvard men. The institute was founded in 1879 by Professor Norton, who was made its first president and held that office with great distinction until 1890. He was followed in the presidency by President Low, of Columbia, who was compelled by the press of his official duties to resign the office in January of the present year. His successor is Professor J. W. White. Of the twelve men who signed the call issued in 1879, ten were Harvard men.
The institute was founded for the purpose of promoting and directing archaeological investigation and research. It has conducted noteworthy excavations in Asia Minor, Crete and Greece, has issued many noteworthy publications, and is establishing the study of classical archaeology in the colleges of the United States.
In 1881 it founded the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, whose first director was Professor Goodwin. Four other directors and professors of the school have come from Harvard, and sixteen of its seventy-three students have been Harvard men.
In 1895 the institute founded the School of Classical Studies in Rome, whose first director was Professor Hale, Harvard 1870, now senior professor of Latin in the University of Chicago. The director in 1897-98 will be Professor C. L. Smith, and with him will be associated, as professor of archaeology, Richard Norton, Harvard 1892, now of Bryn Mawr.
The institute and the two schools have an income that varies from $20,000 to $25,000 a year. The institute is governed by a council which, until recently, consisted solely of members elected annually by affiliated societies established in eleven different cities of the United State. The council has had twenty-two members, seven of whom were Harvard men; but at its last meeting its membership was doubled by the addition of ex-officio members. The intention of this change is to give greater permanence to the membership of the council and thus to secure greater continuity in its work. James Loeb, Harvard 1888, was elected treasurer.
At its recent meeting the council reorganized its system of publications. Hereafter it will issue its own journal, which will be published in bi-monthly parts. The editor-in-chief is Professor J. H. Wright and one of the two assistant editors is Professor J. R. Wheeler, Ph. D. Harvard 1885, now of Columbia. The yearly appropriation for the journal will be $5000. The institute offers annually four fellowships at the schools, each of the value of $600. The examinations for the two fellowships at the school at Athens will be held this week at Halle, Germany, Athens, Greece, Ithaca, N. Y., and Cambridge, Mass. Three of the six candidates are Harvard men.