University Calendar.

27. Thursday.

Appleton Chapel, 7.30 p. m. Rev. Phillips Brooks, D. D. (The front pews will be reserved for members of the university until 7.30.)

Week-day morning prayers at 8.45 a. m. No seats are assigned, either for officers or classes.

Rev. Phillips Brooks, D. D., will conduct prayers from October 13 to November 1.

Dr. Brooks may be found at Wadsworth House 1 every week day from 9 to 12.

27. MONDAY.Seminary in American History. Methods of teaching History. Professor Channing. University 20, 7.30 p. m.

Romance Philology. The Scope and importance of Romance Philology. Lecture, Professor Sheldon. Sever 5, 7.30 p. m.

28. TUESDAY.Third College Conference on the Study of the Bible. The Old Testament in the light of other Semitic Literatur. Professor Toy. Sever 11, 7.30 p. m.

The College Conferences are for members of the University only.

29. WEDNESDAY.Divinity School Library. Conference. 4.15 p. m.

Representative Men and Issues of Modern Philosophy, Lecture V: Fichte. Professor Royce. Sanders Theatre, 7.30 p. m.

30. THURSDAY.English 6. Oral Debate. University 2, 3 p. m.

Question: "Resolved, That the Senate bill regulating trusts and monopolies ought to pass."

Principal Disputants:- Affirmative, C. R. Detrick and A. B. Halliday; negative, A. S. Hayes and W. P. Jones. Open to all students of the university.

31. FRIDAY.Last day for receiving applications of candidates for Final Honors in 1891.

Divinity School Chapel. Preaching Service. 7.30 p. m.

NOVEMBER 1. SATURDAY.Last day for receiving dissertations for the Bowdoin and Chauncey Wright Prizes.

Last day for receiving applications for Bright and Bigelow Scholarships.

APPLETON CHAPEL.- SUNDAY EVENING SERVICES.October 26. Rev. Phillips Brooks, D. D.

November 2. Rev. Professor J. F. Wright, of the New Church Theological School, Cambridge.

November 9. Rev. Lyman Abbott, D. D.

November 16 and 28. Rev. Henry Van Dyke, D. D.

November 30. Rev. Edward E. Hale, D. D.

December 7. Rev. Professor W. Lawrence, S. T. D., of Cambridge.

December 14. Rev. Washington Gladden, D. D., of Columbus, Ohio.

COLLEGE CONFERENCES ON THE STUDY OF THE BIBLE.The greater part of the College Conferences this year will be devoted to an introduction to the study of the Bible. A provisional programme of the course may be obtained at the office. These meetings will be held on Tuesday evenings at 7.30 in Sever 11.

SYMPHONY CONCERTS.Thursday evenings, November 6; December 4, 1890, and January 8, January 29, February 19, and April 16, 1891.

ROMANCE PHILOLOGY.Six lectures introductory to the comparative study of the Romance language will be given by Professor Sheldon in Sever 5 at 7.30 p. m. as follows:

1. October 27. The Scope and Importance of Romance Philology.

2. October 30. The place of Phonetics in Linguistic Study.

3. November 3. The Observance of Law in Linguistic Change.

4. November 10. Double or Multiple Forms from the Same Source (Doublets).

5. November 13. Some of the Main Characteristics of the Romance Languages as compared with Classical Latin.

6. November 17. The Beginning and Growth of the study of Romance Philogy in Europe.