BROWN WINS.

Harvard Defeated a Second Time in an Uninteresting Game.

Brown defeated Harvard for the second time yesterday afternoon by the score of 4 to 0, in a game that was peculiarly uninteresting, considering the smallness of the score. The great trouble seemed to be that Harvard played as if the result was a foregone conclusion after Brown had scored three runs in the first inning. The men fielded listlessly and came to the bat as if they were anxious to get it over with as soon as possible.

Paine pitched a game that deserved a better end. Aside from his let-up in the first inning his work could hardly have been better. He struck out eight men and allowed but two hits in the last eight innings. Even the slump in the first inning was less his fault than the score would indicate, as Gammons' home run would hardly have been made more than a base hit but for slow work by Beale and Burgess.

Aside from Paine the best work was done by Beale, who batted well and made two pretty catches. The work of the infield was decidedly weak. Stevenson played a very poor game and seemed not only unable to handle the ball but to take it quite as a matter of course. Twice, after fumbling the ball, he made no effort at all to recover for a throw. Dean also made two bad errors, one of which let in a run. Chandler played steadily, but was altogether too slow in getting the ball across to first.

With the exception of Beale, the batting of the Harvard team was uniformly weak. The men were almost all retired on easy infield hits or pop flies, and were utterly unable to hit at critical points. But one man reached third base.

In spite of their inability to hit Paine, the Brown men played a sharp, aggressive game. Their fielding was remarkably clean and sure, and at the bat they made the most of every chance to score. It is a suggestive fact that Brown made four runs on four hits, and Harvard no runs on five hits. The best work for Brown was done by Lauder, who fielded very sharply. Brady pitched an extremely effective game and kept the hits well scattered.

Brown scored three runs in the first on Lauder's hit, Rodman's base on balls and Gammons' home run. In the fifth, Phillips went to first on balls, to second on Stevenson's error off Fultz, and scored on Dean's poor throw to complete a double play.

Harvard's best chance to score was lost in the eighth on a sharp triple play with two men on bases and none out. Haughton contributed a studpid piece of baserunning to this play.

The score is as follows:

BROWN.

a.b. r. b.h. t.b. p.o. a. e.

Phillips, s. s. 3 1 0 0 3 1 1

Fultz, 2b. 5 0 0 0 0 4 0

Lauder, 3b. 4 1 1 1 6 4 0

Rodman, 1b. 3 1 0 0 10 0 0

Gammons, c.f. 4 1 1 4 2 0 0

Cook, r.f. 3 0 1 1 0 0 0

Sedgwick, l.f. 4 0 0 0 3 0 0

Dunne, c. 4 0 1 1 3 0 0

Brady, p. 2 0 0 0 0 1 0

Totals, 32 4 4 7 27 10 1

HARVARD.

a.b. r. b.h. t.b. p.o. a. e.

Burgess, r.f. 3 0 0 0 0 0 0

Rand, l.f. 2 0 0 0 2 0 0

Haughton, 1b., 4 0 1 1 11 1 0

Scannell, c. 4 0 0 0 7 1 0

Beale, c.f. 4 0 2 2 3 0 0

Stevenson, 3b. 4 0 1 1 0 2 2

Dean, 2b. 4 0 0 0 3 2 2

Chandler, s.s. 3 0 1 1 0 4 0

Paine, p. 3 0 0 0 1 5 0

Totals, 31 0 5 5 27 15 4

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Brown, 3 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0-4

Earned runs-Brown, 1. Home run-Gammons. Stolen bases-Gammons, Sedgwlck. Double plays Lauder and Rodman (2), Paine, Dean and Haughton. Base on balls-Phillips, Rodman, Brady, Rand (2), Stevenson, Chandler. Hit by pitched ball-Rand. Passed ball-Scannell. Struck out-by Paine, 8; by Brady, 1. Umpire, Murray.