THE CLASS RACE.

'99 Wins Prettily Under Unsatisfactory Condition.

The class race yesterday afternoon was pulled in very rough water, but in spite of this all the crews rowed in good form. Ninety-nine won a comparatively easy victory, being ahead from the start, but the other crews all rowed creditably, considering the extremely difficult conditions for the first mile. The time was 10m. 55s., nearly a minute and a half slower than last year; but the rough water and a strong head wind would more than account for this.

At the start, '98 caught the water first and momentarily jumped ahead, but '99 almost instantly caught them and took the lead. After the first 200 yards '99 was ahead, the other crews being at first well bunched. At the half-mile the Freshmen had a slight lead over '97 and '98, but, getting into difficulties with the rough water, caught several crabs and fell back a length and a half; '98 gradually drew ahead and the race for third place was left to '97 and 1900. At the bridge they were even, the Freshmen having caught up, and from there to the finish they steadily pulled ahead, leading by 1 1-2 lengths.

Meanwhile '98 had steered a course nearer to the Cambridge side, but they continued to draw ahead of '97, and at the bridge were about two lengths ahead of '97 and 1900, and two and one-half lengths behind '99, who were rowing strongly. Ninety-eight made a game fight of it after passing the bridge and gained a length, but in the last quarter '99 put on steam, leading at the finish by a length and a half of clear water.

What was undoubtedly demonstrated in the race was the superiority of the long English stroke over the short professional one. Ninety-seven had an unusually powerful crew, but they rowed a very short stroke, and from the start were undoubtedly out of the race. For the last mile they rowed a very plucky race, Hollister doing the work of half the crew, but the stroke was outclassed.

Ninety-eight labored under the disadvantage of losing her bow man at the last moment, though Rice, who rowed in his place, did extremely well. Then, too, '98 had the roughest water, but none the less '99 undoubtedly had the race in their hands.

The winning crew was made up as follows:

Age. Weight. Height.

Boardman, str., 20 160 5 ft. 10 1-2

McDuffie, 7, 20 167 6 ft.

Blake, 6, 20 156 6 ft.

Marvin, 5, 23 158 5 ft. 11

Donald, 4, 19 186 6 ft.

Adams, 3, 20 165 5 ft. 11

Swift, 2, 18 164 5 ft. 11

Dibblee, bow, 20 153 5 ft. 8

Plumb, coxswain.

Average, 20 yrs., 163 5-8 1bs., 5 ft. 10.