YALE LETTER.

The University opened the year nominally on Thursday morning, but to the undergraduates, the freshman in particular, the class wrestling on the previous evening was looked upon as the first ceremony of the session.

Special efforts had been made by the upper classes to assure the revival of this custom, enthusiasm for which had been allowed to wane during the last year or so, and, by the aid of an energetic brass band every one was led to the Hopkins Grammar School Lot where the sophomore class tested the newcomers. After the confusion of first meetings it was found that five of the men who had hoped to return had passed away, and the classes were called together to adopt suitable resolutions on the death of their comrades; '96 on G. Z. Gray; '97 on J. D. Garth, C. P. Kellogg, B. H. Porter, and '98 on Berkeley McKesson.

The Cambridge Team were, of course, of much interest to all, and while they remained in New Haven were entertained as best the university was able.

In return for the hospitality the visitors proved themselves such charming companions that everyone wished the stay might be prolonged. The distinction and pleasure of harboring such guests was a handsome return for the slight inconvenience of sending a team to England last year.

Crowds have watched the practice of both football and track teams, but the work in the first sport has been too limited as yet to arouse great enthusiasm, and the field athletes have been the centre of attraction. The annual fall tennis tournament has also been progressing, not, however, with any special degree of spirit. By the official averages of the nine which have just been published Carter leads the batting for the whole season and for the championship games with percentages of 429 and 467 respectively, and Stephenson has the highest fielding average, 972, of the men playing any large number of games. The Y. M. C. A. has arranged to extend its work more systematically into the Sheffield School and will hereafter maintain a reading room near the Sheff. buildings. The reception given to the freshman class under the auspices of the association was a decided success.

This plan of intrducing the new men to their classmates and the other members of the University has proved most advantageous to all.

Both freshman classes are smaller than last year and neither promises to do much in athletics.

YALE NEWS.