FRESHMAN CREWS.

[Special dispatch to the CRIMSON.]

POUGHKEEPSIE, N. Y., June 23.- In the race on the Hudson this evening, the freshman crews broke all previous records for freshmen on a two mile course, and put up one of the hottest races ever witnessed in American intercollegiate racing.

The Yale crew rowed the two miles in 9 minutes 19 1-2 seconds, and the Harvard freshmen fought them every inch of the way, finishing about two lengths behind in 9 min. 26 1-2 sec. The Cornell crew finished three-quarters of a length behind Harvard in 9 min. 29 1-2 sec. The best freshman record for two miles-9 min. 41 sec.,- was made at New London in 1891 by the Columbia freshman crew of that year. While the conditions at Poughkeepsie are more favorable than on the Thames, and although the smoothness of the water and a good breeze blowing up the river helped somewhat in today's performance, it is nevertheless considered that the race was a very remarkable one, since the last crew to come in-Cornell-lowered the previous record by 11 1-2 seconds. The race was rowed upstream, the start being about a mile below the bridge.

The race was twice postponed, the start being finally made at 7 o'clock. Harvard caught the water first and soon had a lead of half a length, Cornell being second. Harvard and Cornell started at 35 strokes to the minute, Yale at 34. Yale soon increased to 36 and began to draw up at once, till at the three-quarters the three crews were about even. Here Yale drew gradually ahead and at the mile was rowing even with Cornell, Harvard being about a quarter length behind. For the rest of the course Yale kept up a long, powerful 33 till near the finish, when it was increased to 36.

From the mile Harvard slowly worked by Cornell, and, with the stroke at 33, made a desperate but unsuccessful effort to catch Yale. At the mile and a half there was clear water between Harvard and Cornell. During the last half mile the Harvard stroke however lacked power and the Yale crew increased its lead steadily, coming in two lengths ahead.

The men in all three boats appeared to be in the best of condition and rowed to the fsnish without distress. The Harvard crew rowed a good race, their time and watermanship were excellent, but the Yale men seemed to have the advantage of greater strength.

The average ages, heights and weights of the three crews follows:

Yale. Harvard. Cornell.

Age, 18.6 18.6 19.8

Height, 1.10 7-8 6. 5.10

Weight, 171.6 163 157