YALE DEFEATED.

Harvard Wins the First Game in the Series by Timely Batting.

Harvard defeated Yale yesterday afternoon, by the score of 7 to 5, in a cleanly played and exciting game. For three innings in the middle of the game the score stood four to four and it was impossible to decide who would secure the lead. Then Harvard, by timely hitting, secured two runs in the seventh inning and one in the eighth, while Yale, owing to Paine's effective pitching, was unable to score until the ninth, when she earned one run in a final effort.

Harvard deserves the greatest praise for the way the whole team played and for their steadiness throughout the game. To Paine especially belongs credit, not only pitched a splendid game throughout, striking out 11 men, but watched the bases closely and played a good game in the field. Soannell also distinguished himself, backing up Paine without an error, and Haughton fielded well and did some very timely hitting. Dean, too, made his hits when they were most needed, bringing in runs each time.

Yale also deserves credit for the coolness with which she played under the handicap of inferior pitchers. Goodwin at catcher, Camp at shortstop and Keator at centre, played especially well.

The story of the game is practically that of a few innings when the scoring took place. In the second inning Harvard started the scoring. With two out Burgess reached first on an error by Letton and stole second. Dean then knocked a single and Burgess came home, but Dean retired the side by a failure to steal second.

In the next inning Yale also scored. Keator was hit by Paine and stole second. Then Hazen struck out, but Greenway hit a long fly to Burgess, which gave Keator time to score. Fincke then retired the side by a slow grounder to Paine. In the last half of the third, Harvard added three more runs to her score. Chandler, Paine and Rand got their bases on balls. Then Haughton fouled out, but gave Chandler a chance to steal home. Beale hit a clean single, which brought home Paine and Rand. Beale and Stevenson, however, went out in order and Harvard was retired.

Yale then proceeded to tie the score. Camp got a base on balls. Wallace hit the ball for two bases, but Camp was held on third. Goodwin struck out Reed, however, who here took Fincke's place at third, Fincke going in to pitch, knocked a long fly, which enabled Camp to score. Hazen hit a clean single and Wallace and Keator scored. Greenway retired the side by striking out.

There was no more scoring until the seventh inning, when a beautiful two base hit by Haughton enabled Rand and Paine to score. Then in the eighth Harvard added one more earned run to her score, as did Yale in the ninth, leaving the final score 7 to 5.

The tabulated score follows:

HARVARD.

a. b. r. b. h. t. b. p. o. a. e.

Rand, l. f. 3 2 1 1 0 0 0

Haughton, 1b. 4 0 1 2 8 0 0

Beale, c. f. 4 0 1 1 1 0 0

Scannell, c. 4 0 1 1 12 0 0

Stevenson, 3b. 4 1 1 1 0 0 2

Burgess, r. f. 2 1 1 1 2 0 1

Dean, 2b. 3 0 2 2 3 2 1

Chandler, s. s. 3 1 0 0 0 0 1

Paine, p. 3 2 0 0 1 5 0

Totals, 30 7 8 9 27 7 5

YALE.

a. b. r. b. h. t. b. p. o. a. e.

Keator, c. f. 5 2 1 1 4 1 0

Hazen, 2b. 5 0 1 1 8 2 0

Letton, 1b. 5 1 2 3 11 0 1

Greenway, l. f. 5 0 2 3 1 0 0

Fincke, 3b., p., 5 0 0 0 0 2 0

Camp, s. s. 3 1 0 0 1 2 0

Wallace, r. f. 3 1 2 2 1 0 1

Goodwin, c. 4 0 0 0 2 2 1

Hecker, p. 1 0 0 0 0 0 0

Reed, 3b. 3 0 0 0 0 1 3 0

Totals, 39 5 8 10 24 12 8

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 0 1 3 0 0 0 2 1 x-7

Yale, 0 0 1 3 0 0 0 0 1-5

Earned runs-Harvard, 3; Yale, 2. Sacrifice hits-Burgess. Stolen bases-Rand, Burgess, Dean, Keator. Bases on balls-by Paine: Wallace, Camp; by Hecker: Chandler, Paine, Rand; by Fincke: Burgess. First base on errors-Harvard, 2; Yale, 4. Left on bases-Harvard, 5; Yale, 9. Struck out-by Paine: Keator, Hazen, Letton, Greenway, Fincke (2), Camp. Goodwin (3), Hecker; by Fincke: Haughton, Scannell. Double plays-Paine and Haughton. Passed ball-Goodwin. Wild pitch-Hacker. Hit by pitched ball-Dean, Keator. Time-1h. 45m. Umpire-Murray. Attendance-10,000.