REMOVAL OF POST OFFICE.

An Effort to Establish a Central Office Further Down Town.

In connection with the desire expressed during the past summer by certain people in the district of Cambridgeport that the name of their post office should be changed to Cambridge, instead of Cambridgeport as it now is, an effort is now being made by the same interests to solve the difficulty by establishing a single central office to take the place of the two now in existence. Such a step would of course unite the two districts under the municipal name, Cambridge.

The chief reason alleged for this sweeping change is that the name Cambridgeport has acquired a degree of unpopularity which injures the business of certain firms located in that section. Rather than place this name upon their bill and letter headings it appears that some of the firms prefer to let their mail be addressed to Cambridge and sent to the Harvard Square office, in spite of the inconvenience in delivery.

As far as the Post Office Department is concerned, Mr. A. R. Henderson, Assistant Postmaster of Boston, is of the opinion that the change would not be sought by the department, and that if carried out, it would be in deference to the request of the public and not as a necessary measure of practical improvement to meet its own needs.

According to the same authority the business is very evenly divided between the two offices now in operation. If there is any difference at all a slight advantage probably rests with the Harvard Square office in general receipts and in money order business. One decided difference, however, exists. At Harvard Square some 1500 or more people call for their mail on Sunday mornings, while at the other office this element is but trifling.

No definite plan has been selected, and the postmaster of Boston, upon his return from Washington today, will hold a conference on the subject and possibly take some step in the matter. Whatever plan, however, may be selected, will involve the removal of all delivery business from Harvard Square to a considerable distance. A sub-station for the sale of stamps and for money-order and registered letter business may be substituted, but all mail will come from the new station.

Some practical results of this step will be, that on Sundays mail must be called for at a distance, or not at all, that those who are not at home when registered and special delivery letters are brought by messengers, must go to a greater distance to obtain them, and finally that the delivery of all mails will be to a certain extent retarded unless an extra appropriation is provided for carriers' car fare.