ENTHUSIASTIC MEETING.

University Club Heartily Endorsed.- Resolutions Adopted.

The University Club project received the hearty and unqualified endorsement of the undergraduates at the mass meeting in the Fogg Lecture Room last evening. The room was crowded, all the seats and aisles being completely filled, and many were kept out simply because the room was not large enough to hold them. President Perkins of the Senior class presided, and introduced several representative men, all of whom spoke in emphatic approval of the proposed club.

The first speaker was G. G. Murchie of the Law School, who took up the club in its relation to the graduates. It would have the inevitable tendency, he said, to bring them into a closer and more active relation with the life of the University. As things stand now, when a man graduates he feels that his connection with the University is severed. He may possibly return to his former clique, but even here he feels that he is merely admitted through courtesy. With a club of this kind the graduates would be bound more closely to the University, and would feel that they were a part of its activity.

President Donald of the Junior class next spoke. He deplored the prevalent impression that there is no enthusiasm at Harvard; but said that it was undeniably true that there was not a sufficiently united spirit, one in which all men felt they had a part. This he attributed to the disintegration which was inevitable with so many smaller clubs. The object of the proposed club is to remedy this, to weld all interests into one, and to create a Harvard spirit. He referred to Pennsylvania, where the athletic spirit had been brought out and intensified by the University Club.

Captain Goodrich of the crew took up the athletic phase of the question. There is need, he said, of some force which shall bring a united Harvard to back up the athletic teams. To do this, a genuine, whole souled Harvard spirit must be created in which there is no division of interests, but one united enthusiasm. The University Club is the force which better than any other can bring this about; for it would have the support of all students, and would be the centre of University activity.

The last speaker was Charles Grilk '98, who advocated the club as a means of bringing out more fully the democratic spirit for which Harvard has always stood, by lessening the evils of individualism, and welding all into one compact mass of Harvard men. The club would do this, he said, for it has the unqualified support of society and non-society men alike, who all wish to see a united University. The speaker moved the appointment by the class presidents of a committee of five, to consist of two Seniors, two Juniors and one Sophomore, whose duty it shall be: First, to canvass the University to find how many men would join such a club, and second, to carry before the Graduate Committee, as expressing the sense of Harvard students, the following resolution:

"Resolved, That we, the members of Harvard University, in mass meeting assembled, do express it as our earnest opinion that there is a great and increasing need of a University Club containing conveniences such as will attract men of all circumstances, with annual dues sufficiently low to deter no man from joining.

"We think the social conditions at Harvard will be greatly changed for the better by the erection of a building containing a large assembly room, a trophy room, a hall for the musical clubs and the debating societies, offices for the college publications and the managers of athletic organizations, baths and a swimming tank, a billiard room, lounging and reading room, a first-class restaurant and separate lunch room, and a few suites of rooms to be used in entertaining visitors of the University.

"We feel confident that such a club would be of great practical benefit to the various undergraduate organizations, that it would do much to unify the now widely separating interests of the University, that it would have the effect of broadening and enriching the individual life of every student at Harvard.

"Understanding that the graduate committee now in existence, which has the subject of a University Club under consideration, does not feel sure of undergraduate support, we wish by our action tonight to assure them of that support as emphatically as we are able, requesting that they give the matter immediate consideration, and communicate with us thereon as soon as possible."

This resolution was unanimously adopted, after which the meeting was adjourned. Several hundred men formed in line and, headed by the band, marched about the Yard, cheering and singing "Fair Harvard." STP