THE NEW BOAT HOUSE.

Plans to be Presented at the Harvard Club Dinner Tonight.

At the dinner of the New York Harvard Club this evening which President Eliot will attend, plans for the new boat house on Soldiers Field will be presented. These plans which have been prepared by Peabody and Stearns of Boston, after a careful examination by a number of rowing men, have been sent to New York expressly for inspection by Harvard graduates, together with a colore map of Soldiers Field and Longfellow Park as they will appear after the completion of the improvements now authorized by the Park Commission. The location of the new boat house on the south bank and in a line with the prolongation of the west side of the dike, is also given.

The estimated cost of the building, including foundations but exclusive of the floats, is $25,000. Last fall $15,000 of this sum had been raised, and at a meeting of the collection committee held during the Christmas holidays plans for continuing the collection were mapped out. It was the opinion of the committee at that time that no difficulty would be experienced in raising the remaining $10,000.

These plans, which were prepared in consequence of instructions to the chairman of the Athletic Committee from the committee in New York, provides for a building 80-120 ft., covering about 10,000 square feet of ground There will be six bays, three for eight-oared shells, one for a workshop, singles or doubles, one for singles, and one for the tank which will be 65 ft. long. The second floor will contain a large room for rowing machines and training apparatus, a large room for the 'Varsity crew, rooms for the coaches, for class crews, and for general use. There will be ample shower bath conveniences, and a large covered balcony extending the length of the building on the water side. The second floor will be heated by steam, as a small room on the lower floor has been left for a boiler. It is further expected that a light bridge will connect the boat house with Soldiers Field One feature which will be new is the division of the second floor so that ladies may go through the east side to the balcony on the water front to see the crews go out or to witness any racing.

The building will be of wood, and the outside finish will be very much like that of the present Locker Building, while the inside will be sheathed throughout. The size of the new boat house will leave room for a number of additional crews and a large extension of rowing interest it is hoped will accompany its acquisition.

Although the success in raising funds warrants work being begun next summer, the boat house would hardly be accessible until the completion of the work of the Park Commission. The new dike will probably be finished in September and work on the building being begun the following spring will warrant its completion in time for the autumn rowing.