THE CONFERENCE

On Physical Training in the Fogg Lecture Room this Evening.

The Physical Training Conference open to all members of the University will be held in the Fogg Lecture Room at eight o'clock this evening, under the auspices of the Forum and the Union.

The idea of the conference is to promote discussion on the various plans which have been proposed for adopting some regular couse of Physical Training at Harvard, and to discover how the undergraduates feel toward the matter. There have already been published in the CRIMSON a series of articles explanatory of the systems in use at other colleges. Some colleges for instance require physical training and give credit, others require it and give no credit, and still others offer it as an elective and count it toward a degree. Thus there is a good opening for discussion.

Charles Grilk '98, president of the Union, will preside and introduce the four main speakers. The first of these will be the Rev. President W. DeW. Hyde of Bowdoin College, now conducting prayers at Appleton Chapel, who has introduced very successfully a compulsory course at Bowdoin for which credit is given. Dr. Henry P. Bowditch of the Harvard Medical School will be the next speaker, and Professor William James has consented to be the third. Dr. Sargent will speak last.

As has already been announced, after the main speeches discussion will be open to the house and it is hoped that many members of the University will participate.