New Window in Memorial Transept.

The work of putting in the new window at the north end of the Memorial transept has been begun. The old window is being torn out and it is expected that the new window will be in place by Commencement Day.

This window has been given to commemorate those students who died in the Civil War, but the donor's name will be kept secret until the window is finished. The window has been designed by Mrs. Henry Whitman of Boston.

The middle of the five mullioned windows is to be filled with the arms of the college, and a large tablature containing a memorial inscription written by President Eliot and translated into Latin by Professors Morgan and Greenough. In the extreme left hand of these five windows is to be a soldier in armour with a crimson cape and banner, and in the corresponding right-hand window, a scholar in crimson suit with cap and gown. In the two remaining mullioned windows are to be shrines and short Latin inscriptions to the soldier and scholar. In the four quatrefoils above these windows there will be four cherubs bearing the single words: "Virtus," "Honor," "Fides," and "Amor." In the large rose window above are to be angles with musical instruments.

The north end of the transept was chosen, for though the window will miss the southern light, it will be seen immediately on entering the door nearest the College Yard. It has been Mrs. Whitman's aim to make the window in keeping with the memorial feeling of scholar and soldier. She has chosen red as the dominent color of the window because it is to commemorate war, is a rich color such as a north window needs, and stands especially for Harvard.