Lectures on Camp Life and Personal Care of Volunteers.

The first two lectures in the course on Soldier's and Sailor's Life were given in Sanders Theatre last evening. The small size of the audience was doubtless caused by lack of advertisement. President Eliot aptly introduced both speakers.

Dr. C. M. Green, Asst. Surgeon First Corps of Cadets, spoke of "Camp Life" dealing especially with that in the 70's and '90's. He spoke from the medical standpoint, and showed the great changes which have been effected in the personnel and discipline of the miltia. He affirmed that the sanitary conditions of the camps and the personal hygiene of the men had been decidedly improved. One of the most important results of the changed conditions seemed to him the more general acknowledgement by the militia of the value of strict discipline.

Dr. H. L. Burrell, lately surgeon-general in the state militia, spoke upon the personal care of volunteers in campaign. He said in substance that the ability to make forced marches and to win decisive victories depends no less upon the health of the individual soldier than upon the maintenance of good discipline. The number of men killed in a war is always less than the number of those who die of disease. In the Crimean war the proportion was one to twelve; in our Civil War, however, only one to two. To keep the troops in perfect physical condition is the great aim of modern sanitary precautions in the army. Especially in a country like Cuba must impure water be avoided, as the germs of yellow fever are found in it. It should be the care of officers to rest their men whenever possible; of each man to keep himself in as perfect health as possible.