COLORS FOR THE HARVARD.

Sum Contributed Last Evening Much Larger than Required.

At the mass meeting held in the Fogg Museum last night for the purpose of raising money enough to present the cruiser "Harvard" with a set of colors a sum was raised which added to that already raised by the Faculty amounted to 165 dollars. As this is 100 dollars more than the sum required to purchase the colors, the surplus is to be used in providing a second gift. It was voted that J. H. Perkins '98 appoint a committee of five to choose the givt and raise whatever further funds may be necessary.

After the meeting a crowd of students headed by the drum corps marched to President Eliot's house. President Eliot made a short speech in which he expressed his approval of the spirit of the flag giving, and a hope that something might be presented to the "Harvard" which officers and men alike might appreciate. He counselled the students to act with certainty, moderation and resolution.

The students marched to the houses of several professors calling for speeches. Col. T. W. Higginson made a speech from the steps of Thayer in his usual pleasantly reminiscent manner. Both he and Professor Shaler, who later made a speech from the steps of University, were confident of the part Harvard would take in the present crisis.

The following committee was appointed by President Perkins in accordance with the vote of the meeting: Professor I. N. Hollis, Dr. A. C. Coolidge, C. C. Payson '98, C. C. Mann '99, Eliot Spalding 1900. No effort will be made toward an extended appeal for further funds, but all members of the University unable to attend the meeting last evening and willing to subscribe, are asked to leave their contributions with the bookkeeper in the CRIMSON office today.