FRESHMAN RACE.

To Be Rowed This Afternoon on the Thames-Harvard Has a Steady Boat.

The boat race between the Freshmen crews of Yale, Cornell and Harvard will be rowed on the Thames at New London this afternoon over the two-mile course. The Cornell crew is considered faster than last year's, and from the recent practice has given evidence of more speed than either the Harvard or Yale Freshmen. It has been doing satisfactory work and rows in good form with considerable snap, but is not accustomed to rough water.

The Yale crew has been handicapped by the recent loss of Auchincloss, No. 2, on account of ill health, and by the requirement of the Faculty that the men should go to New Haven for examinations. The most conspicuous fault of the crew is a slow, ragged recovery, and a tendency not to row together.

The Harvard Freshmen have been slow in developing this season and are not yet quite up to the racing point. The trial of Locke and Lawrence in the 'Varsity and the poor health of Whitney have retarded the work to a great degree. Since being at their quarters on the Thames the men have suffered from an epidemic of sore throat but are at present in good health. Long practice rows have been impossible. In spite of these drawbacks, the crew is strong with good blade work and is steady, especially in rough water.

Following is the Harvard order:

Age. Height. Wg't

Stroke, C. W. Locke, 18 5.9 140

7. J. Lawrence, Jr., 20 6.2 175

6. H. H. Peyton (capt.) 21 5.9 170

5. E. P. Loud, 19 6.0 170

4. R. E. Gilchrist, 19 6.0 168

3. L. Endicott, 19 5.9 150

2. P. H. Whitney, 17 5.10 155

Bow, H. C. Hawkins, Jr., 20 5.9 143

Cox., R. H. Howe, Jr., 23 5.7 108