No Headline

Several weeks ago in speaking of the deficit in the treasury of the 1901 crew, we felt it to be probably no more serious than is usual with Freshmen crews a month before they go to New London, and we merely suggested that it was incumbent on 1901 men to subscribe more readily. The situation has, however, turned out to be much more serious than we supposed. In past years appeals of this nature have always met with general support, last season in fact the result was a surplus, but the 1901 management has met with most discouraging indifference.

It is hard to believe that a class, which, by its prominence in nearly every line of University activity has thus far made a favorable impression on upperclassmen, can be lacking in common spirit to such an extent. It is possible that the very success of the class in athletics has served as a blind to its true character. With so many to draw from, good teams might be put in the field in spite of an absence of general interest. Before drawing such a conclusion, however, we would suggest another possible explanation of this financial failure.

Those who have had experience in collecting here or anywhere know but too well that the only way to get money out of a man is to "dun" him in person. The postal card method has been tried before on classes which in the end subscribed liberally toward their crews, and found decidedly wanting. The present Senior class, which has now a large surplus in its crew treasury, will remember that in its Sophomore year, over-confidence in the postal method nearly proved disastrous. A very possible solution of the present problem may thus be for some 1901 men to volunteer as collectors and get right down to work. Their manager has about all he can carry with the details of New London arrangements and one thing or other, and the best service his friends can do him after subscribing as liberally as possible, is to induce others to do the same.