Rowing Plans at Yale

Captain Allen, of the Yale University crew, and Dr. Gallaudet, the lately appointed head coach, have announced their final plan for the training of this year's crew. With the exception of elaborations and improvements, the plan is similar to Harvard's system of class crews, which was followed last year.

The candidates for the university crew will be divided into four classes. All of the freshmen and all of those men who have become eligible to row only after a year's residence at Yale will constitute the first year class; all of the sophomores and all of those members of the graduate schools who took part in freshmen athletics last year will constitute the second year class; the juniors will form the third year class, and the seniors and all of the graduates of Yale now studying in the graduate departments will form the fourth year class. Each of these divisions will be placed in charge of a head coach who will be directly under the control of Dr. Gallaudet. Of the men who will have charge of the crews, J. P. Brock '00 will have the fourth-year class; F. G. Brown '01, the third-year class; J. Cross '00, the second-year class, and F. W. Allen '00, the first-year class. Each coach will have as many assistants as desired.

The class crews will be kept in training until the middle of May when they will be entered in the spring regatta. It is expected that as many as fifteen crews will be kept in training for this event. The exact make-up of the university eight will not be decided upon until after the spring regatta in the middle of May, when the class crews, with the exception of the freshmen, will be disbanded. Second university and freshman eights will then be selected and these four crews will be kept in training until the Harvard-Yale races at New London.

The call for candidates will be made in the next two weeks. The first class is already at work in response to a call made a week ago when 120 freshmen came out for their class crew. Of last year's university crew the following men are in college: Allen, Brown, Williams, Neidecken and Wickes; substitutes, Mitchell, Brock, Cameron, Patterson and Cross.