Conference of Universities.

The Presidents of Harvard, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, the University of Chicago, and the University of California have issued invitations to the leading universities of America for a conference to be held in Washington in February, 1900, for the consideration of problems connected with graduate work. The conference has been prompted, in the words of the invitation, "by a desire to secure in foreign universities, where it is not already given, such credit as is legitimately due to the advanced work done in our own universities of high standing, and to protect the dignity of our Doctor's degrees. . . . There is reason to believe that, among other things, the deliberations of such a conference as has been proposed will result, first in a greater uniformity of the conditions under which students may become candidates for higher degrees in different American universities, thereby solving the question of migration, which has become an important issue with the Federation of Graduate Clubs; second, in raising the opinion entertained abroad of our own Doctor's degrees; third, in raising the standard of our own weaker institutions."

The invitation has been extended to the following universities: California, Chicago, Clark, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Princeton, Leland Stanford, Junior, Wisconsin and Yale. The United States Commissioner of Education has been invited to take part in the conference, and the Federation of Graduate Clubs has been invited to send a delegate.