COLUMBIA GAME A SURPRISE.

Harvard Wins Easily, 24-0--Encouraging Strength of the Line.

Harvard defeated Columbia on Soldiers Field Saturday afternoon by a score of 24 to 0. It was expected that Columbia would play a very strong game and that the score would be close, but the great weakness of the Columbia backs, and their fumbling made the game an easy one for Harvard. Columbia did not once hold Harvard for downs, and on the offense gained in all just fourteen yards. Harvard's play, however, was not especially good, as only one of the touchdowns was made without the assistance of a fumble or a poor punt on Columbia's part.

The game, although won principally through Columbia's poor playing, showed a great improvement in some parts of the Harvard team. The most encouraging change for the better was in the guards and tackles. On the offense they opened the holes very well and helped the backs considerably, but it was on the defense that they did the best work. Columbia's plunging backs, who have been so successful against other teams, could make no consecutive gains through the line, and only once did they get first down. Another pleasing feature of Harvard's play was the way in which the men followed the ball on the defense. Columbia tried trick plays frequently and executed them well, but there was always a Harvard man ready to stop them, and whenever Columbia made a fumble Harvard took advantage of it and got the ball. The team play, however, was not good. The interference on end plays was not fast enough, and the Columbia ends were allowed to stop the runners before they were fairly started. The secondary defense of the backs was also very weak, as a little effective work by them would have prevented all of Columbia's gains.

The individual work of the Harvard ends and backs was the best done so far this season. Campbell followed the ball without a mistake; three times he stopped Columbia's delayed pass play for a loss, he got down well under punts, and helped the linemen on the defense. Daly, besides running the team well and keeping the men steady, made a brilliant dodging run of forty-five yards after catching a punt. The best work behind the line was done by Sawin. He seemed to have no difficulty in breaking through holes in the right side of the line, and scored two of the touchdowns on plays of this kind. He failed, however, on three rather difficult tries at goals from the field. Ellis was as successful as usual in bucking the line, and for the first time this season he helped the other backs to gain by mass plays. He did all of the punting, and was more successful than usual, although he made one or two poor attempts. Graydon and J. Lawrence were aggressive on the offense and easily broke through the Columbia line when punts were tried. Their defense was a little weak. The three centre men, Barnard, Sargent and Lee, did the best work they have done this season, and were by no means the weak spot of the team as they have been heretofore. None of the men were injured except Sawin, who again hurt his broken nose.

Kendall kicked off to Weeks who fumbled, but Berrien got the ball on the twenty-yard line. On the next play Sykes passed the ball from the centre of the field to Slocovitch who was on the side-lines. Graydon tackled him before he gained any distance. Weeks made a failure of an attempt to punt, and J. Lawrence kicked the ball over the line where Ristine fell on it for the first touchdown less than a minute after the game begun. J. Lawrence kicked the goal. After the next kick-off Harvard by Daly's forty-five yard run, Sawin's twenty-yard plunge through a hold made by J. Lawrence and several short plunges by Ellis and Sawin, took the ball once to the ten-yard and again to the two-yard line, but lost it both times on off-side play. Finally Morley made a short punt from behind the line to the seven-yard line, and on the next play Sawin plunged through J. Lawrence for a touchdown. J. Lawrence kicked the goal. Harvard did not score again in the first half as Sawin failed on two attempts at goals from the field.

Kendall returned Morley's kick-off in the second half and the ball rolled to Columbia's ten-yard line. Harvard stopped two mass plays and got the ball on downs on the twelve-yard line. A ten-yard buck by Sawin and another short one by Ellis scored the touchdown. J. Lawrence kicked a difficult goal. Soon after the kick off Ellis made a well-placed punt from the middle of the field to Columbia's five-yard line. Columbia failed to gain twice and Harvard got the ball on the five yard line on Morley's poor punt. Sawin on the next play broke through right tackle again and scored the last touchdown. J. Lawrence kicked another goal from a difficult angle. From then until the end of the game Harvard played a defensive game and Columbia had the ball most of the time. They got first down only once, and the game ended with the ball in the middle of the field in Harvard's possession.

The line-up was as follows: Harvard.  Columbia. Ristine, Farley, r.e.  l.e., Slocovitch. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Smythe, Coffln. Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Wright. Sargent, c.  c., Williams. Lee, l.g.  r.g., Austin, Tyson, Smith. Graydon, l.t.  r.t., McKellar. Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Van Hoevenburg, Wolfe. Daly, Fincke, q.b.  q.b., Sykes, Van Hoevenburg. Kendall, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Berrien. Sawin, Kernan, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Weeks, Ashley. Ellis, f.b.  f.b., Morley.

Score--Harvard, 24; Columbia, 0. Touchdowns--Sawin 2, Ellis, Ristine. Goals from touchdowns--J. Lawrence 4. Umpire--Paul Dashiel of Lehigh. Referee--Crolius of Dartmouth. Linesmen--Hallewell of Harvard and Simons of Columbia. Timekeeper--F. Wood of B. A. A. Time--20 and 15 minute halves.