FOOTBALL PRACTICE.

The Third Eleven Scores a Touchdown Against the First.

The football squad went through unusually long practice yesterday, which, on the whole, was unsatisfactory. Particular attention was paid to punting.

The most discouraging feature of the day was the poor work of the first eleven in its practice game with the third. This may be accounted for, however, as a result of the Wesleyan game. The third eleven not only kept the play in the first team's territory, but just at the end of the one half played, scored a touchdown on straight, simple plays. This was due mainly to the poor work of J. Lawrence, Barnard and Hollingsworth of the first, and the aggressive play of Whitwell of the third. Immediately after the first kick-off Kendall tried a punt, but Roberts blocked it, gaining the ball on the first eleven's twenty yard line. Captain Daly then went in on the third and tried a goal from the field, but it was blocked. After an exchange of punts the first eleven tried an end run, but Whitwell broke through and stopped the play for a loss. Hollingsworth then took Barnard's place and Spratt was substituted for J. Lawrence. The third team then tried the ends and W. R. Lawrence gained repeatedly around right end, Campbell being easily blocked off in each case. With the ball on the twenty yard line Putnam broke entirely through right guard scoring a touch down.

The second and fourth teams then lined up for a short game. The second team was a little the stronger, scoring once on a seventy yard run by E. Motley and ending with the ball on the fourth team's five yard line. The only important feature was the excellent line-bucking of Graydon, who was given a trial at full-back on the second.

The line-up of the first and third elevens follows. First Eleven.  Third Eleven. Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Hoxie. Blagden, l.t.  r.t., Lewis. Lee, l.g.  r.g., Rainsford. Sargent, c.  c., Roberts. Barnard, Hollingsworth, r.g.  l.g., Whitwell. J. Lawrence, Spratt, r.t.  l.t., R. Lawrence. Hallowell, r.e.  l.e., B. Taylor. Sherlock, q.b.  q.b., L. Daly, C. Daly. E. Kendall, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Putnam. Gierasch, r.h.b. l.h.b.,  W. R. Lawrence. Stillman, f.b.  f.b., Mifflin.