Chess Prospects.

The outlook for a strong chess team to represent Harvard this year is very bright. C. F. C. Arensberg '01 and C. T. Rice '01, each of whom has played once in the intercollegiate tournament, are both back in College; and E. R. Perry '03, one of Harvard's representatives at the last tournament, has also returned. G. B. Wilson '94, who played on the first team sent to an intercollegiate tournament, re-enters Harvard this fall, but will be ineligible to compete in the intercollegiate tournament. However, he may be able to play on the team in some of the local matches.

In the tournament this year, each college will be represented by four players instead of two as heretofore; and in addition the schedule has been changed so as to cover only three days instead of six.

The Chess Club will soon reorganize and will make this year a special effort to get new men interested in the game. It will be necessary to develope much new material this winter, both because of the increase in the size of the team, and because of the fact that almost all the good chess players in college graduate next spring. E. E. Southard '97 will coach the players and will be assisted by other members of former Harvard teams. A number of matches will be played with the different Boston chess clubs, and also some matches may be arranged with the clubs of near-by colleges. The fall tournament will begin in about two weeks, and every man who knows how to play chess at all, is urged to enter it.