The Lodge on Soldiers Field.

One of the new features at Soldiers Field which should attract some attention this fall, is the gate-keeper's lodge, just inside the Marshall Newell Gate. Though the building was occupied last spring, it is now open for the first time to the general public, as nearly all the furniture and other equipments are now installed.

The most striking part of the building is a large reception room for ladies, occupying the greater part of the first floor. The floor of this room is of Georgia pine, and the doors and other finishings are of cypress. The walls are of rough plaster, painted a dark green, with a broad frieze in a lighter tint. The ceiling is supported by two large beams, which run cross wise and give a substantial appearance to the entire room.

The object of this reception hall is to provide a warm and comfortable place where ladies may rest, before or during the games on the field. With this in view there is a large, open fire-place, built of rough brick, in a recess near one corner of the room. In it there will always be a wood fire on afternoons when there are games. Opening from the same side of the hall are toilet rooms, equipped with all facilities for the use of visitors. The upper story of the lodge contains dwelling rooms only, and will not be open to the public.