INJURED PLAYERS RETURN

Practice Yesterday the Hardest of the Season.--The Defense Coached.

Ellis and Gierasch both came out for practice yesterday for the first time since the West Point game. Neither of them did any hard work. Sawin, too, was out again. He and Gierasch seemed to be in good condition but Ellis's leg is still troubling him, though he may be able to play against Pennsylvania. Kendall's injured shoulder again kept him out of the game.

The practice was the hardest done this season. It began with starts and later the men were lined up in their positions and were coached at lunging with the snapping of the ball. This was to remedy the general slowness in jumping into plays, which would be disastrous against Pennsylvania's guards back. After a short signal practice the first and second elevens lined up for a game of thirty minutes. In this, all of the time was given to developing the defensive strength of the first eleven and the ball was constantly returned to the second after it had been held for downs. Consequently there was no scoring. The second's guards, especially Grew, ran the ball well, but the right side of the first team broke up most of the plays. In this J. Lawrence was very effective, but his old fault of paying too much attention to his opponent again appeared, Sargent also did much toward strengthening the defense, watching the plays closely and lunging well. Hallowell played an encouraging game at end and seemed to be regaining his form of last season. The halfbacks were very slow on the signals and interfered poorly. Stillman, however, did some strong line plunging, making one gain of forty yards. The second eleven played more aggressively than usual and several of the men did some brilliant playing. Clark at right end showed great improvement in his tackling.

The line-up: First Eleven.  Second Eleven Hallowell, Ristine, r.e.  l.e., Hawkins. J. Lawrence, R. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., McGrew. Barnard, Burnett, r.g.  l.g., Riggs, Shaw, Rainsford. Sargent, c.  c., Green, Doucette. Lee, Whitwell, Riggs, l.g.  r.g., Grew. Eaton, Graydon, l.t.  r.t., Spratt. Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Clark, Hoxie. Daly, q.b.  q.b., L. Daly. Devens, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Blagden. Putnam, Kernan, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Derby, Ives. Stillman, f.b.  f.b., Mifflin.