HARD PRACTICE.

Ellis and Farley '99 Back on the Eleven. I. W. Kendall Injured.

An unfortunate accident occurred in the football practice yesterday. I. W. Kendall '01, who was playing left halfback on the first eleven, dislocated his right shoulder, and as it is feared that further playing will cause serious injury, he will not play again. He dislocated the same shoulder when playing on the Freshman team three years ago, and again two years ago in the Harvard-Williams game; last year the doctors did not permit him to play. This is therefore his last chance to make the eleven. Several other members of the squad are also out of the game, but only temporarily. Whitwell has water on the knee, and will not be able to play for a week. Gierasch also has an injured knee, and as it has been hurt before, it is impossible to say when he will be out again. Campbell also did not play on account of his ankle, which is slightly lame.

The practice itself was good. The first eleven showed some science and team play; and although there was still much to be desired, the amount of life and spirit put into the game showed that improvement has begun.

There were also several men of experience who joined the squad. Farley, substitute end on the '99 eleven, who is now in the Law School, began work as a candidate for the team, and played well at end on the first team. Fincke, substitute quarterback of last year's team, came out for the first team, but did not play.

After the short preliminary practice, the first and second elevens played two halves of ten minutes each. The first eleven was decidedly superior on the offensive, but did not score until the very end of the second half. This small score does not, however, give a correct idea of the game; for the second team had possession of the ball only twice and did not gain a yard by rushing. The first eleven on the other hand, gained almost at will, and was never far from the goal line. In the first half the ball was carried twice to the ten-yard line, only to be lost on fumbles, and in the second half also, Daly very narrowly missed a goal from the field. In both halves, however, the first team had great difficulty in gaining when in their opponents' territory, owing to the plucky defensive work of the second eleven. The interference was still slow and weak except on three or four occasions, but even here traces of improvement could be found. There was still a weakness in the centre of the line due to the new men being tried there.

The best individual work was that of Ellis, who took part in the actual playing for the first time this year. He struck the line with his usual speed and power, and was always valuable in the interference. Sawin also seemed to have regained his last year's form. He ran well in the open field and followed his interference to good advantage on several occasions. Kernan, in spite of his faltering after striking the line, found the holes well and made several gains. He scored the only touchdown by a fifteen yard plunge through the centre of the line. Graydon, whose work resembles that of Ellis, put plenty of strength in his running, yet was not successful in finding holes. E. Kendall made a pretty fifty-yard run aided by Ellis's interference, but otherwise his playing was not as good as usual. At quarterback, Sherlock ran the team well; nevertheless, he started the plays so irregularly that the line men could not work together. In the line, Blagden was the only man who opened holes whenever called upon. There was excellent work on the second eleven. Hoxie and Baldwin made some sure, hard tackles, and the men in the line played more as a unit than the first team forwards.

The first eleven began the game well. Ellis and E. Kendall made ten yards through the line, and on the third play the latter got around left end for fifty yards before being tackled on the ten-yard line. The second team got the ball on a fumble, and punted to the middle of the field. Sawin then circled right end for twenty-five yards, but failed in an attempt at a drop-kick goal from the thirty-five yard line. The second team again punted to the middle of the field, and Sawin ran it back twenty yards by an exciting dodging run. A series of line plays took the ball to the second's five-yard line, but time was called before it could be pushed over.

During the first part of the second half the first team tried several unsuccessful end plays, and finally began a steady attack on the line. I. W. Kendall here gained eight yards on a good plunge, but on the play he dislocated his shoulder. Kernan then went in, and he and Graydon soon pushed the ball to the fifteen-yard line. Daly then tried a drop kick for goal from the field, and although the angle was a difficult one, he just missed the post. Soon after this the first team renewed its line attack, and Kernan by a series of plays through the tackles and guards, carried the ball from the thirty-five yard line to the goal. His last plunge was for fifteen yards. Time was called at once. The line-up was as follows: First Eleven.  Second Eleven. Clark, Hawkins, r.e.,  l.e., B. Taylor, Cooper, Meier. J. Lawrence, R. Lawrence, r.t.,  l.t., McGrew. Riggs, Barnard, r.g.,  l.g., Rainsford, Miller. Sargent, Sugden, c.,  c., Roberts. Hollingsworth, l.g.,  r.g., Shea, Carroll, Robinson. Blagden, l.t.,  r.t., Wright, Grew. Bowditch, Farely, l.e.,  r.e., Hoxie, Morse, Littig. Sherlock, Daly, q.b.,  q.b., E. Motley, Baldwin, L. Daly. E. Kendall, Derby, r.h.b.,  l.h.b., W. R. Lawrence, Hersey. Sawin, I. Kendall, Kernan, l.h.b.,  r.h.b., Jaynes, Swann, Phillips. Ellis, Graydon, f.b.,  f.b., Mifflin, Boyd, Ives.